Mechanisms of Horizontal Integration
According to the Development Planning System Law, the National Development Council (NDC) is responsible for long-term development planning and assessment of development. National Development Council is chaired by the Prime Minister and includes the minister of education and science, the minister of economics, the minister of finance, the minister of environmental protection and regional development, a representative of the State President, as well as social partners and representatives of the most influential non-governmental organizations.
The functions of the NDC according to the Regulation of the Cabinet of Ministers on the NDC:
- To ensure planning process of State long-term development
- To assess implementation of the long-term planning documents and to submit proposals for new development planning documents
- To submit recommendations to the Cabinet of Ministers on State long-term development priority directions after analysis and evaluation of their potential impacts
- To submit recommendations to the Cabinet of Ministers on the development planning aspects of the State medium-term budget
- To discuss relevant structural reforms
Responsibility for the NSDS implementation and overall policy coordination and monitoring at the national level lies with the Cross-sectoral Coordination Centre. The policy coordination function ensures that ministry and other government entities ensure compliance of their development planning documents with higher level planning documents, as well as with development planning regulations. NSDS and National Development Plan 2014-2020 serve as a reference documents for the Cross-sectoral Coordination Centre to coordinate and ensure compliance of medium-term sectoral policies. The Cross-sectoral Coordination Centre submits proposals on the implementation of national reforms and the redistribution of resources for the implementation of national development priorities and policy guidelines.
This Country Profile has been last updated on: Monday, 23 May 2016
For the sources used in the country profiles, please click here.
More information about Latvia