Regional SD strategies and LA 21 initiatives
There are practically no regional initiatives on SD in Lithuania. One
third of local authorities that had stated their commitments to start LA 21
processes in 1999 became more passive as there is no national support for
subsidies to sustainability projects at local level. Several municipalities
have been involved in the city network, particularly Union of Baltic Cities
(UBC) projects. Other activities are:
- Environmental management projects (EMAS, Peer
Review Projects) were implemented in Panevezys City Municipality and the
Siauliai City Municipality in 2007.
- Sustainability and Integrated Management
projects (Managing Urban Europe-25 project (Kaunas City Municipality, the
Siauliai City Municipality; and SUSTAINMENT Project (the Panevezys City
- Ministry of Environment has carried out
sustainability survey at local level in 2007.
- UBC has promoted Europe a wide sustainability
process involving local authorities of Lithuania in particular the Aalborg
Commitment processes, including approx. 660 signatory cities and regional
authorities. In Lithuania 2 cities have signed it.
- At present most of LA21 initiatives are not
active any more. However, there is a number of projects ongoing at a local
municipalities level related to the implementation of sustainable
development, particularly climate change, quality of life etc.
In recent yers
there were more focuson vertical implementation of NSDS.
Participation of stakeholders in sub-national
There is a weak stakeholder participation in the development of
environmental and SD policy programmes in Lithuania.
Evaluation and review mechanisms at the
sub-national levels, also in the context of Lithuanian NSDS
Evaluation does not operate in cities. Both Alytus and Kaunas City
Municipalities have made the Aalborg Commitment baseline review reports.
Moreover, Kaunas city has developed a Strategic development plan for 2005-2015
in accordance with the Aalborg commitments and it is revised every year (last
revision in 2012).
Indicators used at sub-national level
The cities in Lithuania are using almost only environmental indicators
as local SD indicators. However, there are also some economic or social
indicators used to determine progress in various cases, such as:
- Local GDP per capita, changes compared to
previous year, relation compared to the national GDP per capita;
- Material investments per capita and relation
to the national investments per capita;
- Employment rate of persons aged 15-64 by
county and relation to the national employment rate;
- Unemployment rate and relation to the national
unemployment rate, etc.
Contact details (names, institutional
affiliation,email) of sub-national and/or Local Agenda 21 coordinators:
- for ECAT–Lithuania: Audrone Alijosiute (email@example.com) - the main
coordinator of Regional SD strategies and Local Agendas 21 in Lithuania;
- for Kaunas - Vilija Guzyte – (firstname.lastname@example.org) –
senior officer of the Investment and Strategic Planning Division;
- for Panevezys – Valdas Macikenas (valdas. email@example.com) –
chief officer of the Department of ecology;
- for Siauliai – Romas Semeta (firstname.lastname@example.org) -
head of the Department of environment;
- for Alytus – Vida Macerniene (email@example.com) –
head of the Department of environment protection.
This Country Profile has been last updated on: Friday, 03 October 2014
For the sources used in the country profiles, please click here.
More information about Lithuania